Place:


Scorton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scorton like this:

SCORTON, a village and a township in Catterick parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the Richmond and Darlington railway, 5 miles E of Richmond; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Catterick. The township comprises 2, 645 acres. Real property, £6, 246; of which £99 are in quarries, and £450 in the railway . Pop., 476. Houses, 97. There are a mineral well, Wesleyan and Roman Catholic chapels, a nunnery of St. Clare, and an endowed grammar school with £300 a year.

Scorton through time

Scorton is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scorton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scorton, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14181

Date accessed: 17th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scorton ".