Place:


Catmore  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Catmore like this:

CATMORE, a parish in Wantage district, Berks; near the Ridge way, 2¾ miles WSW of East Ilsley, and 8 N by W of Newbury r. station. It includes Lilley tything; and once had a market. Post Town, East Ilsley, under Newbury. Acres, 696. Pop., 121. Houses, 22. The manor has been held, for upwards of five centuries, by the Eystons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200. Patron,Eyre, Esq. The church is Norman, without porch or tower; and was recently restored.

Catmore through time

Catmore is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Catmore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Catmore in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1416

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Catmore ".