In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rufforth like this:
RUFFORTH, a parish in the district of York and W. R. Yorkshire; 2 miles S by W of Hessay r. station, and 5 W of York. Post-town, York. Acres, 2, 420. Real property, £3,096. Pop., 297. Houses, 63. The manor belongs to J. Clayton, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £130. Patron, Mrs. Siddall. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rufforth has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of York. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rufforth and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rufforth, in York and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rufforth".