Place:


Rudston  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rudston like this:

RUDSTON, a village and a parish in Bridlington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 3¾ miles N by W of Burton-Agnes r. station, and 5 W of Bridlington; was known, at Domesday, as Rodestane: took thatname from an ancient monolith near the church, now 29feet above ground, and supposed to be nearly as muchbelow; and has a post-office under Hull. ...


The parish contains also the hamlets of Thorpe and Caythorpe, and comprises 5,060 acres. Real property, £6, 546. Pop., 605. Houses, 122. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir H. Boynton, Bart. Thorpe Hall is the chief residence, and has grounds inwhich some Roman relics were discovered in 1830. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £236.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient.and was restored in 1861, at a cost of £2,000. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.

Rudston through time

Rudston is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rudston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rudston, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14152

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rudston ".