Place:


Roundhay  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roundhay like this:

ROUNDHAY, a village and a township-chapelry in Barwick-in-Elmet parish, W. R. Yorkshire. Th-e village stands on the river Aire, 3½ miles N E of Leeds r. station; is a pretty place; and is chiefly edificed with handsome residences of Leeds merchants. The chapelry comprises 1, 630 acres. Post-town, Leeds. ...


Real property, £5, 711. Pop., 570. Houses, 110. The manor belongs to W. N. Nicholson, Esq. There are stone quarries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £225.* Patron, Mrs. Nicholson. The church was built in 1826, is in the early Tudor style, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a school.

Roundhay through time

Roundhay is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Roundhay itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roundhay, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14145

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Roundhay ".