Place:


Rossington  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rossington like this:

ROSSINGTON, a village and a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the river Torne and to the Great Northern railway, 3¾ miles N W by N of Bawtry; and has a station on the railway . The parish comprises 3,009 acres. Post-town, Doncaster. Real property, £3,095. ...


Pop., 400. Houses, 75. The manor belonged to the Fossards and the Mauleys; passed to the Crown; was given, by Henry VII., to the corporation of Doncaster; was purchased in 1838 by the late James Brown, Esq.; and, with R. Hall, belongs now to James Brown, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £659.* Patron, J. Brown, Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was re-built in 1844; and is in the early English style. The churchyard contains the grave ofBosvile, king of thegipsies, who died in 1708. There is a slightly endowednational school.

Rossington through time

Rossington is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rossington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rossington, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14143

Date accessed: 16th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rossington ".