Place:


Rillington  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rillington like this:

RILLINGTON, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Malton and E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile S E of the junction of the York and Scarborough railway with the branch-line to Whitby, and 4¼ N E by E of New Malton; and has a station with telegraph at the railway junction, and a post-office under York. ...


The township comprises 2, 460 acres. Real property, £3,086. Pop., 884. Houses, 217. The parish contains also the township of Scampston, and comprises 4, 842 acres. Real property, £5, 309. Pop., 1, 132. Houses, 265. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £256. Patron, Sir G. Strickland, Bart. The church is good, and has an embattled tower, with beautiful octagonal spire. The p. curacy of Scampston is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and a news-room.—The sub-district contains also seven other parishes. Acres, 37, 303. Pop., 4, 287. Houses, 823.

Rillington through time

Rillington is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rillington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rillington, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14129

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rillington ".