Place:


Riccall  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Riccall like this:

RICCALL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Selby and E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the river Ouse, 4 miles N of Selby r. station; has a post-office under York; and will have a station on the York and Doncaster railway, to be opened in 1869. The parish comprises 3,060 acres. ...


Real property, £4, 383. Pop., 783. Houses, 181. There are two manors, one belonging to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the other to Lord Wenlock. Wheel Hall was a residence of the Bishops of Durham, and gave place to a farm-house about 1774. Riccall Hall is the residence of G. Whitehead, Esq. Earth-works, called Danes hill, are on Riccall Common; and were formed, in 1066, by the Norsemenunder Harold Harfager, fighting against Harold. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £325* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was restored in 1865, at a cost of £3, 140; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a Norman tower; and containsmonuments of the Wormsleys, Richardsons, and others. There are a slightly endowed school and charities £31.—The sub-district contains also another parish, and parts of two others. Acres, 17, 411. Pop., 3, 487. Houses, 746.

Riccall through time

Riccall is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Riccall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Riccall, in Selby and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14126

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Riccall ".