Place:


Great Ribston  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Ribston like this:

RIBSTON (Great), a township, conjoint with Walshford, in Hunsingore parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Nidd, 3½ miles S E of Knaresborough. Acres, 1, 780. Real property, £2, 501. Pop., 180. Houses, 35. The manor belonged to Turbar the Dane; passed to the Percys and others; and, with R. ...


Hall, belongs now to J. Dent, Esq. An ancient church or chapel is attached to the hall, and contains monuments of the Goodricks. A preceptory of Knights Templars was founded hereby Robert Lord Ross, and was given to the Brandons. The famous apple called the Ribston pippin, was brought hither from France, and takes its name from having been grown here.

Great Ribston through time

Great Ribston is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Ribston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Ribston, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14124

Date accessed: 18th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Ribston ".