Place:


Thorncombe Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thorncombe like this:

THORNCOMBE, a village and a parish in the district of Axminster and county of Dorset. The village stands 2½ miles ESE of Chard-Road r. station, and 5¾ NE of Axminster; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Chard, and a fair on Easter Tuesday. The parish includes Ford Abbey, and comprises 4,896 acres. Real property, £6,695. Pop., 1,277. Houses, 267. Sadborough House is the seat of J. Bragge, Esq. There are woollen mills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £457.* Patron, J. Bragge, Esq. The church is good. Admiral Hood was a native.

Thorncombe through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thorncombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thorncombe and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thorncombe in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14119

Date accessed: 24th July 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thorncombe".