Place:


Basildon  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Basildon like this:

BASILDEN, or Basildon, a parish in Bradfield district, Berks; on the river Thames, and on the Great Western railway, 1 mile SSE of Goring station, and 7¾ WNW of Reading. Post Town, Pangbourne, under Reading. Acres, 3,083. Real property, £4,875. Pop., 712. Houses, 148. The property is divided among a few. ...


Basilden Park was the seat of the Viscounts Fane from 1718 till 1766; passed then to the baronet family of Sykes; and was recently purchased by T. Morrison, Esq. The house contains a fine collection of works of art. The railway crosses the Thames a short distance above the church. The parish had two churches at Domesday, and afterwards the right of a weekly market. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £200.* Patron, the Rev. W. Sykes. The church is ancient. There is a dissenting chapel.

Basildon through time

Basildon is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Basildon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Basildon in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1409

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Basildon ".