In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wyke Regis like this:
WYKE-REGIS, a village and a parish in Weymouth district, Dorset. The village stands on an eminence, adjacent to the coast, 2 miles WSW of Weymouth r. station; commands a fine view of Portland island and bay; and has a post-office under Weymouth. The parish is a liberty, called W.-R.-and-Elwell. Acres, 2,062; of which 440 are water. Real property, £11,243; of which £180 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 1,898; in 1861, 2,025. Houses, 391. The property is much subdivided. West Hill House, Belfield house , and West Down Lodge are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £623.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is the mother church of Weymouth, serves as a landmark to mariners, and is of the 15th century. There are a partially endowed national school, and charities £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wyke Regis has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Weymouth and Portland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wyke Regis and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wyke Regis, in Weymouth and Portland and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wyke Regis".