In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Worth Matravers like this:
WORTH-MATRAVERS, a parish, with seven hamlets, in Wareham district, Dorset; on the coast, 8 miles SSE of Wareham r. station. Post town, Wareham. Acres, 2,645. Real property, £1,919. Pop., 350. Houses, 67. The property is much subdivided. Purbeck-stone and green marble are quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value £150.* Patron, The Rector of Swanage. The church is old. See AlBan's Head (St.).
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Worth Matravers has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Worth Matravers and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Worth Matravers, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Worth Matravers".