In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wootton Fitzpaine like this:
WOOTTON-FITZPAINE, a parish in Bridport district, Dorset; 5¾ miles E by S of Axminster r. station. Post town, Charmouth, Dorset. Acres, 1,679. Rated property, £1,366. Pop., 307. Houses, 74. W. House is the seat of Mrs. Luttrell. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £250. Patron, the Rev. F. Lewis. The church is ancient. There is a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wootton Fitzpaine has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wootton Fitzpaine and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wootton Fitzpaine in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wootton Fitzpaine".