In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wool like this:
WOOL, a parish, with three hamlets, in Wareham district, Dorset; on the river Frome, and on the Southampton and Dorchester railway, 5½ miles W by S of Wareham. It has a post-office under Wareham, a r. station, and a fair on 14 May. Acres, 2,550. Real property, with Coombe-Keynes, £3,743. Pop., 590. Houses, 117. The manor belongs to J. Weld, Esq. A Cistertian abbey was founded at Great Bindon, in 1172, by R. de Newburgh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £80. Patron, the Bishop of S. The church was restored in 1866.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wool has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wool and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wool, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wool".