In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Woodyates like this:
WOODYATES (West), an extra-parochial tract in Wimborne district, Dorset; 3¼ miles NE by N of Cranborne. Acres, 1,290. Pop., 20. Houses, 2.
West Woodyates is now part of East Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Woodyates itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Woodyates in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Woodyates ".