Place:


Butley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Butley like this:

BUTLEY, a township in Prestbury parish, Cheshire; on the Manchester and Birmingham railway, adjacent to Prestbury station, 3 miles N of Macclesfield. Acres, 1,500. Real property, £3,930. Pop., 674. Houses, 139. Some of the inhabitants are silk weavers. Roman remains have been found. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Newton, the historian of the Saracens, was a native.

Butley through time

Butley is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Butley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Butley, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1402

Date accessed: 24th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Butley ".