In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodlands like this:
WOODLANDS, a parish in Wimborne district, Dorset; 4½ miles WNW of Ringwood r. station. Post town, Horton, under Wimborne. Acres, 2,561. Real property, £2,078. Pop., 495. Houses, 93. The property belongs to the Earl of Shaftesbury. The Duke of Monmouth, after the battle of Sedgemoor, was taken here in a ditch. The living is a p. curacy annexed to Horton. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodlands has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodlands and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodlands in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodlands".