In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterbourne Abbas like this:
WINTERBORNE-ABBAS, a parish, with a village, in Dorchester district, Dorset; 4½ miles W of Dorchester r. station. It has a post-office under Dorchester, and an inn. Acres, 1,500. Real property, £1,571. Pop., 205. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. There are a Druidical circle and numerous barrows. The name Winterborne arose to this parish and to others from the periodicity of streams, issuing from chalk formations, disappearing in summer, and flowing copiously in winter. The living is a rectory, united with W.-Steepleton, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £435.* Patron, Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is tolerable. Bishop Ironside was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Winterbourne Abbas has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Winterbourne Abbas and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterbourne Abbas in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winterbourne Abbas".