In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterborne Tomson like this:
WINTERBORNE-THOMSON, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; 4¼ miles WSW -of Bailey-Gate r. station, and 6¼ S of Blandford. Post town, Blanford. Acres, 710. Pop., 39. Houses, 6. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £80. Patron, E. G. Bankes, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Winterborne Tomson has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Winterborne Tomson and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterborne Tomson in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winterborne Tomson".