In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterborne Stickland like this:
WINTERBORNE-STICKLAND, a parish, with W.-Quarlestone tything, in Blandford district, Dorset; 3½ miles WSW of Blandford r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of Stickland , under Blandford. Acres, 1,340. Rated property, £1,849. Pop, 444. Houses, 86. The property is divided between two. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £255. Patron, Baron Hamboro. The church is good; and there are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £7.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Winterborne Stickland has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Winterborne Stickland and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterborne Stickland in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winterborne Stickland".