Place:


Winterborne Houghton  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winterborne Houghton like this:

HOUGHTON-WINTERBORNE, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; 4½ miles WSW of Blandford r. station. Post town, Blandford. Acres, 1, 923. Real property, £1, 350. Pop., 284. Houses, 55. The manor belonged to the Despencers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £180.* Patron, Mrs. Michell. The church is ancient, and has a tower.

Winterborne Houghton through time

Winterborne Houghton is now part of North Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winterborne Houghton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winterborne Houghton in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14006

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winterborne Houghton ".