In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winfrith Newburgh like this:
WINFRITH-NEWBURGH, a parish, with W. village and five hamlets, in Wareham district, Dorset; 3 miles SW of Wool r. station, and 8 WSW of Wareham. It has a post-office under Dorchester. Acres, 4,496. Real property, with Longcotts, £4,214. Pop., 1,020. house s, 235. A seat of the Newburghs was here. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £640. Patron, the Bishop of S. The church was recently restored. A chapel of ease and an endowed school are at Burton; and a national school at Winfrith. Bishops Lindwood and Atkyns were rectors.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Winfrith Newburgh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Winfrith Newburgh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winfrith Newburgh, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Winfrith Newburgh".