In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wimborne St Giles like this:
WIMBORNE-ST. GILES, a parish and a hundred in Dorset. The parish lies 1¾ mile SW of Cranborne, and 3½ NNW of Verwood railway station; contains a village of its own name; includes the tything of W.-All Saints; and is in Wimborne district. Post town, Cranborne, under Salisbury. Acres, 3,978. ...
Real property, £4,121. Pop., 436. Houses, 86. The manor, with St. Giles Park, belongs to the Earl of Shaftesbury, and gives him the title of Baron. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £545.* Patron. the Earl of Shaftesbury. The church was rebuilt in 1732, and restored in 1852. There are national schools and alms houses.-The hundred includes West Woodyates parish, and is in Wimborne division.
Wimborne St Giles is now part of East Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wimborne St Giles itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wimborne St Giles in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st May 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wimborne St Giles ".