In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitechurch Canonicorum like this:
WHITCHURCH-CANONICORUM, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a hundred, in Dorset. The village stands 5 miles WNW of Bridport r. station; took its name from an alien monastery called Album Monasterium, a cell to St. Wandragisil abbey in Normandy; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Bridport. The parish includes four hamlets, and comprises 6,113 acres. Rated property, £4,765. Pop., 1,533. Houses, 336. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with Chideock and with Stanton-St. ...
Gabriel, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £739.* Patron, the Bishop of S. The church is good; a chapel of ease is at Marshwood; and part of the parish is in Monckton-Wyld chapelry. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and charities £22.The sub-district contains six parishes, and is in Bridport district. Acres, 15,259. Pop., 4,095. Houses, 902.- The hundred contains nine parishes and a part, and is in Bridport division. Acres, 20,734. Pop. in 1851, 5,686. Houses, 1,181.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitechurch Canonicorum has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitechurch Canonicorum and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitechurch Canonicorum in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitechurch Canonicorum".