In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitcombe like this:
WHITCOMBE, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; 2 miles SE of Dorchester r. station. Post town, Dorchester. Acres, 540. Real property, £800. Pop., 71. Houses, 12. The living is a donative in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £13. Patron, Capt. L. D. Damer. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitcombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitcombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitcombe in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitcombe".