In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upwey like this:
UPWAY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Weymouth district, Dorset. The village stands near the Weymouth railway, 4 miles SSW of Dorchester; and has a post-office‡ under Dorchester.The parish includes Elwell hamlet, and comprises 1,785 acres. Rated property, £3,017. Pop., 646. Houses, 154. The property is divided among four. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £269.* Patron, the Bishop of S. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel and a national school.The sub-district contains 9 parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 15,510. Pop., 3,969. Houses, 842.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Upwey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Weymouth and Portland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Upwey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upwey, in Weymouth and Portland and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Upwey".