In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tyneham like this:
TYNEHAM, a parish in Wareham district, Dorset; on the coast, 6 miles SW by S of Wareham r. station. Post town, Corfe-Castle, under Wareham. Acres, 2,915; of which 75 are water. Rated property, £1,319. Pop., 272. Houses, 61. The property is divided among four. An alien priory, a cell to Bec abbey in France, stood at Povington; and was given to the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The living is a rectory, annexed to Steeple. The church was restored and enlarged in 1835.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tyneham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tyneham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tyneham, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tyneham".