In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tolpuddle like this:
TOLPUDDLE, a parish, with a village and two hamlets, in Dorchester district, Dorset; 3¾ miles N by E of Moreton r. station, and 7 ENE of Dorchester. Post town, Dorchester. Acres, 2,039. Real property, £2,726. Pop., 401 Houses, 80. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £240.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The chancel of the church was rebuilt in 1840. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tolpuddle has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tolpuddle and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tolpuddle in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tolpuddle".