In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornford like this:
THORNFORD, a parish in Sherborne district, Dorset; 3¼ miles SW of Sherborne r. station. Post town, Sherborne. Acres, 1,407. Real property, £2,267. Pop., 415. Houses, 80. Most of the property is in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £200.* Patron, G. D. W. Digby, Esq. The church was restored in 1866.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thornford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thornford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornford in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thornford".