In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Symondsbury like this:
SYMONDSBURY, a parish in Bridport district, Dorset; 1½ mile W by N of Bridport r. station. Post town, Bridport. Acres, 3,925; of which 100 are water. Rated property, £6,437. Pop., 1,352. Houses, 281. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ilchester. There are ferruginous springs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £969.* Patron, Mrs. Bower. The parochial church is early English and cruciform. Two churches were recently erected at Broadock and Eype. There are partially endowed schools, and charities £19.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Symondsbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Symondsbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Symondsbury in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Symondsbury".