In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Studland like this:
STUDLAND, a parish in Wareham district, Dorset; in the NE of Purbeck Isle, on S. bay and Poole harbour, 11 miles ESE of Wareham r. station. It includes Brownsea island; and its Post town is Swanage, under Wareham. Acres, 7,814; of which 3,010 are water. Real property, £1,794. Pop. in 1851, 445; in 1861. 595. Houses, 114. The property is mostly in one estate. S. bay has a sheltered anchorage, in 6 fathoms, in W winds. There are brick and pottery works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £175.* Patron, Mrs. Michel. The church is Norman. Charities, £11. See Aggleston and Brownsea.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Studland has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Studland and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Studland, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Studland".