In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stratton like this:
STRATTON, a parish, with two hamlets, in Dorchester district, Dorset; on the river Frome and on the Dorchester and Yeovil railway, 3½ miles NW of Dorchester. It has a post-office under Dorchester. Acres, 1,683. Real property, £2,306. Pop., 351. Houses, 74. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Charminster. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stratton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stratton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stratton in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stratton".