In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stour Provost like this:
STOWER-PROVOST, a parish in Shaftesbury district, Dorset; 3½ miles SSW of Gillingham r. station. Post town, Gillingham, under Bath. Acres, 2,777. Rated property, £4,868. Pop., 889. Houses, 195. The property is divided among a few. A nunnery, or cell to St. Leger de Pratellis in Normandy, was founded here in the time of King John; and was given to King's college, Cambridge. The living is a rectory, united with Todbere, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £655.* Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is good. There is a slightly endowed school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stour Provost has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stour Provost and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stour Provost in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stour Provost".