In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Stour like this:
STOWER (West), a parish in Shaftesbury district, Dorset; 2¼ miles SW of Gillingham r. station. Post town, Gillingham, under Bath. Acres, 1,015. Rated property, £1,750. Pop., 215. Houses, 43. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Gillingham. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Stour has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Stour and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Stour in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Stour".