Place:


Preston  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston like this:

PRESTON, a village and a township in Sculcoates district, and a parish partly also in Skirlaugh district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 mile N of Hedon r.station, and has a post-office under Hull. The township comprises 4, 980 acres of land and 390 of water. Real property, £9, 548. ...


Pop., 902. Houses, 209. The parish contains also the township of Lilley, and comprises 6, 170 acres. Real property, £11,006. Pop., 1,061. Houses, 240. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £310.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is a fineedifice. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £86 a year, and charities £92.

Preston through time

Preston is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13927

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Preston ".