Place:


Tetney  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tetney like this:

TETNEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Louth district, Lincoln. The village stands 2¼ miles NE of North Thoresby r. station, and 6½ SSE of Great Grimsby; and has a post-office under Grimsby, a temperance hall, a reading room, an agricultural society, and a fair on the Monday after 12 July.—The parish includes Tetney-Haven, at the outfall of the Louth navigation; has there an inn, coal wharves, and a coastguard station: and comprises 5,030 acres of land, and 3,295 of foreshore. ...


Real property, £9,410. Pop., 917. Houses, 197. The property is much subdivided. Much of the land is fertile marsh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church was restored in 1862. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.—The sub-district contains 13 parishes. Acres, 36,074. Pop., 5,655. Houses, 1,232.

Tetney through time

Tetney is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Tetney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tetney, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13924

Date accessed: 17th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Tetney ".