Place:


Upper Poppleton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Poppleton like this:

POPPLETON (Upper), a village in St. Mary-Bishop-hill-Junior parish, and a chapelry partly also in Nether Poppleton parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the York, Knaresborough, and Harrogate railway, 4 miles W N W of York; and has a station on the railway . The chapelry comprises 1, 340 acres; and its post town is Poppleton-Gate, under York. ...


Real property, £1, 831; of which £20 are in quarries. Pop., 355. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to A. Montague, Esq. The living is a p.curacy, annexed in Dec. 1866 to the p. curacy of Nether Coppleton, in the diocese of York. The church is ancient, plain, and good; with a bell-turret. There is Wesleyan chapel.

Upper Poppleton through time

Upper Poppleton is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Poppleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Poppleton, in York and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13923

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Poppleton ".