Place:


Nether Poppleton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nether Poppleton like this:

POPPLETON (Nether), a village, a township, and a parish, in the district of York and W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Ouse, near the North-eastern railway, 1¼ mile N N E of Poppleton r. station, and 4 N W of York; and has a post-office under York, and a handsome railway bridge over the Ouse. ...


The township comprises 1, 150 acres. Real property, £1, 823. Pop., 262. Houses, 57. The parish contains also part of Upper Poppleton. Pop., inclusive of that part, 311. Houses, 67. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to A. Montague, Esq. The living is a p. curacy, united with that of Upper P., in the diocese of York. Value, £300, * with £120 for acurate. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient but good, with a belfry; and contains severalancient monuments. There is a Church of Englandschool.

Nether Poppleton through time

Nether Poppleton is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nether Poppleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nether Poppleton, in York and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13920

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nether Poppleton ".