Place:


Plompton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Plompton like this:

PLUMPTON, or Plompton, a township in Spofforth parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 2½ miles S by E of Knaresborough. It contains the village of Plumpton-square. Acres, 2, 250. Real property, £2, 617. Pop., 219. Houses, 39. The property belonged, for about 600years, to the Plumpton family; passed to the Lascelles; and belongs now to the Earl of Harewood. Sir W. Plumpton and his uncle Archbishop Scroop, were beheaded for rebellion in 1405.

Plompton through time

Plompton is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Plompton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Plompton, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13909

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Plompton ".