In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Steeple like this:
STEEPLE, a parish, with S. village and West Creech hamlet, in Wareham district, Dorset; near the coast, 5 miles S by W of Wareham r. station. Post town, Wareham. Acres, 3,362. Rated property, £1,498. Pop., 262. Houses, 63. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with Tyneham, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £382.* Patron, the Rev. N. Bond. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Steeple has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Purbeck. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Steeple and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Steeple, in Purbeck and Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Steeple".