In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanton St Gabriel like this:
STANTON-ST. GABRIEL, a parish in Bridport district, Dorset; on the coast, 4 miles W by S of Bridport r. station. Post town, Bridport. Acres, 1,242; of which 190 are water. Rated property, £855. Pop., 75. Houses, 15. The living is a p. curacy annexed to Whitchurch-Canonicorum. The church was built in 1841.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanton St Gabriel has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanton St Gabriel and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanton St Gabriel in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanton St Gabriel".