Place:


Pannal  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pannal like this:

PANNAL, a village and a parish in Knaresborough district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Nidd, and on the Leeds and Thirsk railway, 3 miles S of Harrogate; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Harrogate. The parish contains also Low Harrogate, and comprises 4, 520 acres. ...


Real property, £13,069. Pop. in 1851, 1, 376; in 1861, 1, 587. Houses, 308. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. A Roman bridge spans the Oak beck. Birk Crag is a romantic glen. All the spas of Harrogate, except one, are in Pannal. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £318.* Patron, the Rev. W. S. Vawdrey. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. The p. curacy of Low Harrogate is a separate benefice. There are two Wesleyan chapels, and charities £5. See Harrogate.

Pannal through time

Pannal is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pannal itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pannal, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13887

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pannal ".