In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Spetisbury like this:
SPETISBURY, a parish, with a village, in Blandford district, Dorset; on the Somerset and Dorset railway, 3 miles SSE of Blandford. It has a post-office under Blandford, and a r. station. Acres. 2.148. Real property, £3,820. Pop., 688. Houses, 129. The property is divided among a few. An alien priory was founded here in the time of Henry II. by the Earl of Mellent. S. Ring is a small circular camp, probably Saxon. The living is a rectory, united with Charlton-Marshall, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £517.* Patron, J. S. E. Drax, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1861. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £100 a year, and a convent.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Spetisbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Spetisbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spetisbury in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Spetisbury".