In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shipton George like this:
SHIPTON-GEORGE, a parish, with a village, in Bridport district, Dorset; 2 miles E by S of Bridport r. station. Post town, Bridport. Acres, 1,528. Real property, with Burton-Bradstock, £6,436. Pop. of S.-G. alone, 413. Houses, 81. The manor belongs to the Earl of Ilchester. S.-Beacon is a bill crowned with an irregular ancient camp, supposed to be Saxon. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Burton-Bradstock. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1862.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shipton George has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shipton George and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shipton George in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shipton George".