In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shillingstone like this:
SHILLINGSTONE, or Shilling-Okeford, a village and a parish in Sturminster district, Dorset. The village stands on an eminence, adjacent to the river Stour and to the Somerset and Dorset railway, 5½ miles NW of Blandford; and has a r. station with telegraph, a post-office‡ under Blandford, and part of an ancient cross. The parish comprises 2,223 acres. Rated property, £2,869. Pop., 509. Houses, 119. The manor belongs to Lord Rivers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £460.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shillingstone has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shillingstone and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shillingstone in North Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shillingstone".