In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shapwick like this:
SHAPWICK, a parish, with a village, in Wimborne district, Dorset; on the river Stour, 2¼ miles S E of Spetisbury r. station, and 4½ S S E of Blandford. It has a post-office under Bland ford. Acres, 3, 670. Real property, £4, 256. Pop., 446. Houses, 89. The manor belongs to E. G. Banks, Esq. A Carthusian priory, a cell to Sheen in Surrey, was founded here in 1414. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £379.* Patron, E. G. Banks, Esq. The church is ancient. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shapwick has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Dorset. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shapwick and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shapwick in East Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shapwick".