Place:


Outwood  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Outwood like this:

OUTWOOD, a chapelry in Wakefield parish, W. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to the Wakefield and Ardsley-Junction line of the Great Northern railway, 3½ miles N by W of Wakefield. It has a station, jointly with Loft-house, on the railway; it was constituted in 1861; and its post town is Wakefield. Pop., 2, 335. Houses, 465. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Stanley.

Outwood through time

Outwood is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Outwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Outwood, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13870

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Outwood ".