Place:


Meppershall  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meppershall like this:

MEPPERSHALL, or MEPSHALL, a parish, with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; near the Hitchin branch of the Midland railway, 2 miles N of the boundary with Herts, and 2 S by W of Shefford. Post town, Shefford, under Biggleswade. Acres, 1,949. Real property, £2,941. Pop., 541. Houses, 114. ...


The property is chiefly divided among seven. The manor belongs to Mrs. Woodburn and the trustees of Mrs. B. Kane. Remains of an old fortification, called the Hills, are near the church. A ruin, now used as a barn, but once a chapel supposed to have belonged to Chicksands priory, and retaining a very fine Norman door, is on Chapel farm. The living is a..rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £500.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is cruciform, and partly Norman; has a central tower; and contains two old brasses.

Meppershall through time

Meppershall is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meppershall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meppershall, in Mid Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1387

Date accessed: 18th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meppershall ".