Place:


Oulton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oulton like this:

OULTON, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Rothwell parish, Wakefield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the river Aire and the Leeds and Normanton railway, 1 mile E S E of Woodlesford r. station, and 5½ E S E of Leeds; is a pleasant place; and has a post-office under Leeds. ...


The township contains also the village of Woodlesford, and bears the name of Oulton-with-Woodlesford. Acres, 1, 278. Real property, £7, 862; of which £30 are in the railway, £250 in mines, and £291 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 771; in 1861, 1,851. Houses, 435. The manor, with Oulton Hall, belongs to J. Calverley, Esq. The hall is a large and elegant edifice, in the Grecian style. Dr. Richard Bentley was a native. The chapelry is conterminate with the township. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £305.* Patron, J. Calverley, Esq. The church was built in 1828-30, at a cost of £12,000, bequeathed by J. Blayds, Esq.; is a fine structure, in the pointed style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and spire. There are Wesleyan chapels and a mixed school.—The sub-district contains also the township of Lofthouse-with-Carlton. Acres, 3, 198. Pop., 3, 879. Houses, 855.

Oulton through time

Oulton is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oulton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oulton, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13865

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oulton ".